In the spirit of Halloween, let’s get creepy!
This tutorial. I’ll be showing you how to add a visitor counter widget to your website so that you can keep tabs on how many people are visiting your page.
So to start, open Dreamweaver and then follow these steps:
1) Open the project page that you will be adding this to (most likely your home index page).
2) Go to Google! Type in widgetbox. Choose the first link that comes up. It should be http://www.widgetbox.com/
3) Click on the top of this page where it says “Widgets.” It is highlighted in the above image.
4) Type into the search box “Visitor Counter.”
5) A search results page will come up now:
You can choose from any of these widgets for the counter, based on your personal preference. I picked the third one down that read “Free Hit Counter for Your Website or Blog.”
6) Once you choose which widget you want to use, click it and when the page loads, go to the left side of the screen and play around with the option of styles.
I chose style 8 for my website. but again this is all about personal choice of how you want the numbers to appear. You can also change the settings of how many digits you want to appear. like 0000000005 of just 005 or maybe 00005. It’s all about how you want to customize your page.
7) Once you are content, press the button that says “Get Widget.”
8) A box will pop-up that has the option to copy the link. Copy it.
9) Head back to DreamWeaver.
10) Once you know where you want to add the counter, click into the editing page and paste. Something like this will appear:
11) Highlight the text that in the live page appears once you paste.Then press delete. (This won’t delete the actual widget — don’t worry).
12)SAVE THE PAGE.
13) Preview in the internet and your first “count” should register. Make sure to try this a few times to see if it counts! It should work.
CONGRATS. You can now count your stalkers 🙂